Having officiated at dozens of weddings over the years, Iâ€™ve started keeping a list of minor and major pitfalls that marrying couples can accidentally fall into.
None of these have been the cause of Total Wedding Ruination, but theyâ€™ve made a happy, memorable moment somewhat less happy and a little more fuzzy than anyone expected.
- No candle-lighting during an outdoor ceremony. Thereâ€™s always an unexpected breeze.Â Really.
- Donâ€™t party so hard the night before that you show up pasty and hung over. Looks bad in your photos, and you wonâ€™t remember a thing from the ceremony.
- Make sure your wedding garments allow you to do everything you want to do when youâ€™re wearing them. Brides, if you canâ€™t lift your arms over your head in your gown or grooms, if your cummerbund is so tight you canâ€™t exhale, youâ€™re not going to have a good time.
- No gum. I mean, really.Â Come on.
- If itâ€™s cold and your wedding is outside, donâ€™t force your bridesmaids to go without their shawls or pashminas. For one thing, itâ€™s mean.Â But more importantly, you might think the pictures will look better sans shmattes, but they wonâ€™t.Â Why?Â I got one word for you.Â Nipples.