Ahhh, Vermont! The trees, the mountains, the water, the leaves, the snow, the ubiquitous country inns, the copious quantities of locally-made chocolate! It’s no wonder Couples of Taste And Distinction choose to make their vows here.
Fortunately, the process is incredibly simple and straightforward, and here, in a nutshell, is everything you need to know to make it happen:
WHO CAN GET MARRIED IN VERMONT?
Anyone over 18. If you’re younger than 18, hold your horses.
ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT WHO CAN GET MARRIED?
If you have a guardian, they have to give written permission.
WHO CAN’T GET MARRIED IN VERMONT?
- People who are already married or civil unioned to someone else.
- Anyone not of sound mind (though the law doesn’t say who decides that).
WHAT DO YOU NEED?
A marriage license and someone to marry you. That’s it. No blood test, no witnesses, no waiting period. And you can get married anywhere in the state.
ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE LICENSE?
- If you live in Vermont, you have to get a license from the clerk in your town.
- If you don’t live in Vermont, you can get a license from any town clerk in any town.
- It costs $45 and is valid for 60 days from the time of issue.
- You’ll need to provide your names, towns of residence, places and dates of birth, your parents’ names (including mother’s maiden name), and parents’ places of birth.
- You’ll also need to provide documented proof of any divorces, dissolutions, or deaths. You’ll be asked to provide the number of previous marriages/civil unions, and how and when they ended.
- Vermont law requires that at least one of you sign the license in the presence of the town clerk.
WHAT ABOUT THE CEREMONY?
There are no rules about what your ceremony needs to consist of. It could be (and has been) as short as this:
Officiant: Do you want to marry each other?
Officiant: You’re married!
Or you could have a hundred-mile marathon, a three-day sweat lodge, and culminate with a pig roast and an all-night karaoke party.
Most couples opt for something in between.
It’s really up to you, and I am happy to help you figure out exactly what suits you best.