With the strains of “Ave Maria” playing in the background, a Japanese couple said their vows Sunday afternoon under the direction of a robot with flashing eyes and plastic pigtails. It was the first wedding performed by a robot, according to the manufacturer, Kokoroâ€¦The officiant-bot waved its arms, flashed its eyes different colors and moved its head up and down as a man behind a curtain entered commands into a computer.
Leave it to those wacky, techno-friendly Japanese to hold the first wedding officiated by a robot. While getting married by a programmable Officiant certainly has a kind of Guinness Book novelty to it, there are a number of problematic issues you might want to consider before boarding the next plane for Tokyo.
Top 10 Reasons Not To Have A Robot Officiate At Your Wedding
1. Battery life issues not yet dealt with, and orange extension cords tacky and unsightly
2. Secretly consecrating your marriage to the Robot God even though you wanted a spiritual (but not religious) ceremony
3. Good at remembering ceremony text, but terrible with pre-marital counseling
4. Can’t make a lightheartedÂ ceremony without a heart
5. Thereâ€™s a man behind the curtain
6. Canâ€™t dance
7. Creepy robot voice kind of creepy
8. Runs on Windows
9. Robot hands tend to drop rings
10. Did you see Terminator?
But in the spirit of fairnessâ€¦
Top One Reason To Have Robot Officiate At Your Wedding
1) Can double as disco ball